Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Fun food

If you read last week, you know we have been doing a unit study on the United Kingdom.  If you've never done a unit study I highly recommend it.  I really like unit studies by Amanda Bennett.  They have a good format and are full of interesting information on tons of fun topics. 

Our study is a geography unit study so there is a good deal of mapping involved, but when we did the first day of the study I was so pleased to see a page dedicated to interesting foods of the area.

I love to cook so food projects are more my forte than a previous project we did which you can read about here: I have to make what? 

The first food we had was Bangers and Mash. If it sounds strange don't worry, if you like sausages and mashed potatoes then this is a meal for you because that is exactly what it is.  Very easy and...it's funny to see look on peoples' faces when you tell them what you're making for supper.  The interesting tidbit we learned about this meal is that the sausages are called bangers because during wartime they had so much water in them that they would explode while being cooked.  lol. 

Bubbles and Squeak was what we found on the food page the next day.
A fun name for a fun food that uses up leftovers.  It is made with potatoes and a green veggie plus what ever else you throw in. Really it's like a potato pancake. So yummy!  We made it for lunch with eggs and bacon and the girl asked me to make it again at dinner time. Here's a recipe if you want to give it a try.  I think it will be added into our regular meal rotation even if it's only so we can say "bubbles and squeak". 

Scones were next on the list, but I was a little short on time so what did I do?  I hopped in the car and headed straight for my trusty Publix.  Because, well, Publix has an awesome deli and they carry fancy things that this southern buttermilk biscuit girl wouldn't usually eat.  With that being said, I really liked the scones!  The kids liked them too.  We got the blueberry ones, if you have a Publix and haven't tried them you should. 

Do your kids like to help you cook? Have you cooked any fun foods lately?  I love being able to incorporate what we are studying into everything, even dinner. :)

April
The Homeschool Village

0 comments:

Post a Comment